LATELY — 8 March 2001
Signs Seen on Travels
Signs seen on travels:
– Outside office building (a surgery?) in Barcelona.
Inspiring, indomitable, brilliant, courageous and magnanimous, frank, direct, enthusiastic and ambitious. Has the idealism and vitality to accomplish great things.
– Mounted on a fence ringing a large fountain at the Suntec City Complex, Singapore. (One of twelve such plaques–I am a dragon.)
DO NOT EXIT
THROUGH THIS WINDOW
Penalty: 10 000 Kc Fine
– On a window (that opens on to the sixth-floor roof) of a hostel in Prague. (10 000 Kc is about US$250.)
PLEASE KEEP OFF THE GRASS.
NE MARCHEZ PAS SUR LES PELOUSES S.V.P.
BITTE NICHT AUF DEN RASEN TRETEN.
PER FAVORE NON CALPESTARE IL PRATO.
– One of many such signs on the edge of a lawn, King’s College, Cambridge. (Chinese, Japanese versions omitted.)
PLEASE KEEP OFF THE
ACCOMPANIED BY A SENIOR
MEMBER OF THE COLLEGE
– To the immediate left of the one above.
NOTICE: Mediums are forbidden to fall into a trance in the Snake Temple or its precinct to avoid causing inconvenience to worshippers and visitors.
By order of the Board.
– Affixed to a wall of the Snake Temple, Penang, Malaysia. [I didn’t.]
[Er, expect actual original thought after I finish my thesis.]